Read and reflect on Romans 12:1-3
Consider the following statement and questions from Palmer’s The Courage to Teach: ‘We cannot know the great things of the universe until we know ourselves to be great things.’ Do you agree? Why or why not? If you agree, are teachers responsible for helping students develop this sense of self-worth in order to help them learn deeply and well?
Is the scripture verse and text statement at odds with each other? Explain.
I agree although it is kind of a weird thought. When I think about that quote I think about atheists and their lack of faith in God, or lack of his existence. I think it is difficult to comprehend the notion of a God, but I think that is made easier when you think just how fantastic human beings are. In my mind, it is impossible that we ended up this way through a series of genetic mutations as some people think. Once you recognize how truly spectacular and great we really are it is easier to see the reflection of God in us. Of course teachings are responsible for helping students develop this sense of self-worth. Watching students grow and mature as people is what I like best about teaching, the information I teach is secondary. I know I am a pretty smart person but it is so weird because some of the students think I am a super genius. My master teacher asked me a question the other day ( a really obscure random fact) and I didn't know it and one student was shocked and said that is the first I have never not known something. Just today they were putting their notebooks together for their final and I was just walking around the room talking to the students and they were asking me about how hard college was and if they would be able to finish, how long it took me etc. It was awesome to make a connection with them and be able to talk about life after high school with them. Making a connection with students to me is the best part about teaching.
As for the Bible verse I don't think it is at odds with Palmer's quote. The verse is encouraging us to be humble and not put ourselves on a pedestal. We can identify that we are great and give glory and thanks to God for giving us the talent to do whatever it is that we do. If you are the best in the world at something, just because you recognize it doesn't mean that you are not humble. If you boast and are arrogant and put yourself above others, then you are not humble. If you quietly thank God and praise him giving you the abilities that you have then you are simply doing what he put you on this Earth to do, and that is to be great.
Erik,
ReplyDeleteYou haver responded ever so candidly and eloquently to this statement. Having humility instead of pride is what keeps us in check, especially as a teacher when we think we know it all when we actually don't. Asking God for guidance in teaching through prayer is indeed essential to get us through teaching daily. You pondered deeply on this topic.
Dr. Lim