How can you create relational trust in an educational setting?
You can create trust in an educational setting by connecting with kids on a personal level. If you take an interest in them as people, they will not only trust you, but they will much more receptive to what you have to say because they respect you as a person. Teachers are not there to be dispensers of information. The internet could do that. If the goal of teachers was simply to learn the standards they could all sit in their homes and do that. The teacher is there to connect with the students, and if you connect with students they will trust you. I could list 1,000 ways to do that but a few that I like to do are ask them what other teachers they have and ask if they like those teachers, why or why not, what type of assignments they give out etc. The students know that I am also still a student so it is very easy for us to relate to one another on that level. I also make it very clear that I am on their side when I say things like saying that I won't give out homework on the weekends and only try to do it two days a week. You build that trust by relating and caring about your students.
Erik,
ReplyDeleteYes, you are indeed an encourager to your students! The fact that they believe you are behind them says a lot. Model that belief and you will see them earn their trust in you as an educator. Making meaningful connections everyday by asking them how was your day today? or are you okay? says a lot about you.
Dr. Lim